MD53A/B ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPASS
The MD53A from MARINE DATA is an Earth’s Field Electro-Magnetic Compass which directly senses the Earth’s magnetic field. The MD53A has no moving parts and does not require a host magnetic compass.
The MD53A/B from MARINE DATA is an Earth’s Field Electro-Magnetic Compass which directly senses the Earth’s magnetic field. The MD53A/B has no moving parts and does not require a host magnetic compass. In this way, the MD53A/B forms the sensing element of a solid-state Electro‑Magnetic Compass (EMC) system – an alternative or a backup to a Gyro system.
The MD53A/B provides digital NMEA 0183 heading data (HDT, HDG, HDM) when used with the MARINE DATA MD97CSP Compass Sensor Interface. Vessel heading may be transmitted to any location on the vessel and displayed with a MARINE DATA compass repeater. Magnetic corrections and heading fluctuation damping are applied with the MARINE DATA MD71THD Variation and Deviation Corrector or the MD86HCU Heading Comparator Unit.
Constructed from robust aluminium alloy and finished in RAL7040 Window Grey semi-gloss paint, the MD53A/B is designed to complement existing marine navigation equipment.
The MD53A/B Electro-Magnetic Compass from MARINE DATA: Flexible in application, easy to install and simple to maintain.
- Provides a source of NMEA 0183 Digital Heading Data as part of the complete the MARINE DATA Transmitting Heading Device (THD) System; an alternative (or a backup) system to a gyrocompass as a source of Heading
RELATED PRODUCTS & SYSTEMS
- MD52A/B Ship’s Magnetic Compass Sensor
- MD54 Compass Sensor Mounting Spacer (Self-adhesive to glass of host compass)
- MD58 Compass Sensor Mounting Bracket (Secures to compass bowl with machine screws)
- MD71THD Control & Display Unit – Required (for magnetic corrections and for fluctuation damping)
- MD97CSP Compass Sensor Processor – Required
- MD86HCU Heading Comparator Unit (Option for magnetic corrections and for fluctuation damping and extensive other functionality)
- Weight: 1.0 kg
- Dimensions: H 166 mm; W 142 mm; D 123 mm
- Mounting: Bulkhead, surface, or deck head
- Connections: 5 m 5-core screened captive cable
- Construction: Aluminium alloy housing and bracket
- Finish: RAL7040 Window Grey, semi-gloss
- Power Supply: Power is supplied by the MARINE DATA™ MD97CSP Compass Sensor Processor; 10 V; 400 – 500 Hz
- Sensor Type: Magnetic Fluxgate coil, 3 phase
- Data Input: Earth’s Magnetic Field
- Data Output: 3 phase positional signal
- Performance: ± 1° (static) accuracy
- Follow-Up Rate: Instantaneous (limited by the processor unit)
- Display: None, requires an external display (e.g. a MARINE DATA Compass Repeater)
- Magnetic Flux Density: Operates from 0.12 to 0.38 Gauss (CGS) (12×10-6 to 38×10-6 Tesla)
- MTBF: >30,000 Hours
- IP rating: IP65
- Operating temp: -15°C to +55°C
- RoHS: Exempt
- IEC 60945
- Requires the MD97CSP Compass Sensor Processor to drive the coil, dampen heading fluctuations and provide a digital NMEA heading output
- Requires the MD71THD to integrate the THD system components, calibrate the system for variation and deviation and display the Heading
- Heading may be forwarded to a range of MARINE DATA Heading Repeaters for display at a convenient location on a vessel
- Installation: As close to the vessel’s metacentre as practicable
- Supplied: Mounting Bracket