The MD52A/B Ship’s Magnetic Compass Sensor is the sensing element at the heart of a MARINE DATA™ Transmitting Magnetic Compass System (TMC). The MD52A/B contains a highly sensitive magnetic fluxgate coil which detects and follows the movement of the ship’s compass card. The MD52A/B is mounted concentrically on a gimballed host magnetic compass – usually inside the standard ship’s binnacle. The MD52A/B must be connected with the MD97CSP Compass Sensor Interface which drives the coil and provides NMEA 0183 Heading Data which can be forwarded to the ship’s Compass Repeaters.
A TMC system provides a complete alternative (or a backup) to a gyrocompass as a source of Heading. Magnetic Variation and Deviation can be corrected using the MARINE DATA™ MD71THD or MD86HCU to give True Heading. In this way a TMC can provide a source of Heading for Compass Repeaters and other navigation equipment.
The MD52A/B can be used in a simple TMC to drive a precision Steering Repeater at the ship’s steering position. This provides a convenient and accurate display of the ship’s magnetic compass which might be mounted in an inconvenient location. The MD52A/B fits inside most standard compass binnacles without requiring any modifications. Optional mountings are available: the MD54 Mounting Spacer and the MD58 Mounting Bracket.
Engineered in a robust black acetal case, the MD52A/B from MARINE DATA is flexible in application, easy to install and simple to maintain.
- Provides a source of NMEA 0183 Digital Heading Data as part of the complete the MARINE DATA Transmitting Heading Device (THD) System; an alternative (or a backup) system to a gyrocompass as a source of Heading
RELATED PRODUCTS & SYSTEMS
- MD53A/B Earth Field Sensing Electro-magnetic Compass
- MD54 Compass Sensor Mounting Spacer (Self-adhesive to glass of host compass)
- MD58 Compass Sensor Mounting Bracket (Secures to compass bowl with machine screws)
- MD71THD Control & Display Unit – Required (for magnetic corrections and for fluctuation damping)
- MD97CSP Compass Sensor Processor – Required
- MD86HCU Heading Comparator Unit (Option for magnetic corrections and for fluctuation damping and extensive other functionality)