MD36/6 STEP (S-TYPE) TO NMEA INTERFACE
The MD36/6 interface converts a DC Step (S Type) heading transmission from legacy equipment to a modern NMEA 0183 format
The MD36/6 is a solid-state Step (S-Type) to NMEA Interface. It converts a DC Step (S-Type) transmission of a ship’s heading from legacy equipment to a modern NMEA 0183 compliant Digital Transmission format. There is an alignment facility on the unit to align the digital output of the MD36/6 to the incoming heading signal. When suitably adjusted the MD36/6 reads the step input heading to within 1/6° and re-transmits an RS422 output following the NMEA (0183) protocol with no errors.
Constructed in a robust die-cast aluminium enclosure and finished in RAL9005 Jet Black fine texture powder coat paint, the MD36/6 is designed to complement existing marine navigation equipment. Supplied for bulkhead mounting as standard, compact and rugged, the MD36/6 offers a compact Step (S-Type) to NMEA Interface solution for locations where available space is limited.
The MD36/6 Step (S-Type) to NMEA Interface from MARINE DATA; designed to be easy to install and simple to maintain.
- Low-power, high accuracy conversion
- Accepts a 3 line Step (S-Type) transmission input, suitable for 24-70 V dc (smoothed or unsmoothed)
- NMEA 0183 HDT sentence transmission at 4800 Baud / 10 messages per second
- The MD36/6 is suitable for converting from any STEP (S-Type) transmission format to a digital NMEA 0183 (IEC61162-1) transmission format. This is especially useful for retro-fitting legacy systems with modern equipment requiring a digital transmission of ships heading.
RELATED PRODUCTS & SYSTEMS
- The MARINE DATA Product Range of Compass Repeaters
- MD86HCU Heading Comparator Unit
- Weight: 1.0 kg
- Dimensions: H 222 mm; W 146 mm; D 55 mm
- Mounting: Bulkhead mounting
- Connections: 3x M20 Cable Glands; M4 Earth Stud
- Construction: Aluminium alloy enclosure
- Finish: Jet Black (RAL9005) fine texture powder coat paint
- Power Supply: 24 V dc nominal; 4 W max; (0.12 amps @ 24 V); 18-32 V dc
- Data input: STEP (S-Type) 3 line, common positive or negative 24-70 V dc STEP Supply, smoothed or unsmoothed
- Data output: NMEA 0183 (IEC 61162-1); Sentence $HEHDT ,xxx.xx,T*CS
; 4800 Baud; 10 messages per second
- Performance: 1/6° accuracy (limit of STEP signal)
- MTBF: >30,000 hours
- Error Indication: Status LEDs on internal PCB; Status in NMEA sentence set to ‘invalid’
- IP rating: IP54
- Operating temp: -15°C to +55°C
- RoHS: Compliant
- Compass: Safe Distance 50 cm
- Conforms with: IEC 60945; IEC 61162-1
- Option: Custom paint colour and stainless steel cable glands – subject to MOQ